After over a month of no show I am back.
I must say, after the long sequel of post I wrote under lock-down I’ve lost the willing to post more.
To be honest I think I made a sort of binge webbing; too much internet, too much blog, too much time on socials.
I’ve also lost the willing to post on Instagram.
The moment we returned to some kind of normality ( work and online school) we also went back to our daily diet; it means I’ve cooked very little the past month.
I only made an exception as on 29th May it was my son’s 10 birthday: his granparents came from Rimini, he wasn’t seeing them since the first half of February so he has been delighted.
I prepared lunch, cooking mainly recipes I’ve already tried and posted; I’ve just tried a traditional apple pie from the book belove: I’ve took so many recipes from this booklet, never have been deluded!
As June started I want to be a good girl and give my readers something new and good!
Please consider the pie isn’t very sweet so serving it with a good custard ice- cream really makes the difference!
Enjoy the recipe!
American apple pie.
For the crust:
- 250 g cold diced butter
- 500 g all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 50 g icing sugar
- 7 tbsp cold water
- 1 tbsp apple vinegar
For the filling:
- 9 granny smith apples peeled, cored and diced
- 100 g cane sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 pod vanilla (seeds only)
- 50 g butter
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
For the brushing:
- 3 tbsp milk
- 3 tbsp cane sugar
- Using a mixer combine flour and butter then add all the other ingredients until you have a crumbly dough. Wrap it in cling film and let it rest in fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Pre heat oven at 360°F.Mix apples with cinnamon, sugar and vanilla.In a glass mix cornstarch and lemon,Melt butter in a pan, stir in apple, let them bronwn, add the lemon/ cornstarch mixture and cook 5 more minutes.
- Divide the dough in two parts, roll out one and line a round pan. Cover the dough with oven parchment, add a weight ( with dry beans or similars) and bake for 15- 20 minutes.
- Remove parchment and beans, put in the baked dough the filling, cover it with the other half dough, rolled out and with a hole in the centre to let the humidity escape.Brush with milk, sprinkle with cane sugar and bake for about 45 minutes.Serve with a good quality custard ice cream.