If you make a Cookie Advent Calendar you cannot miss the most iconic Christmas cookie recipe: gingerbreads!
I’ve never made them before, I’m not fond of spices but they really worth a try!
Of course web is packed with gingerbread recipes but I used the one from my favourite British baker, Paul Hollywood!
Of course good gingerbread men are decorated with icing: I did it but I used my standard icing recipe, the one I use with colors.
It contains corn syrup and the result, with uncolored icing, has been not as white as I wanted but slightly transparent so I took a pic of…
Nude gingerbread men! 😀 😀
They are also a little bit wrinkled, my fault, I worked the dough too much: it happens with this kind of pastry dough, you should always knead it as less as possible!
Let’s jump to the recipe!
Classic Christmas gingerbread men, Paul Hollywood recipe.
- 500 g plain flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 pinch baking soda
- 200 g cold, unsalted butter in small pieces
- 175 g caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 150 g golden syrup or honey
- 150 g black treacle
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda and spices together. Add the butter and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, then stir in the sugar.
- In another bowl mix eggs, treacle and golden syrup/ honey.Please consider I used 300 g honey because treacle and golden syrup aren't common in Italy.
- Mix the ingredients from the two bowls and knead until smooth.
- Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Roll the dough on a slightly floured surface, cut your shapes ( there is enough dough for a small house too) and put them on a lined baking tray.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180°C/ 360°F for about 15 minutes.
- When completely cool mix icing sugar with some drops ( you need very little) of milk.Put the icing into a piping bag with a n.2 round nozzle ( writing nozzle) and decor your cookies.
- They will last about a week into a tin box.
How much bicarbonate? It doesnt say in the recipe?
It’s just a pinch. You’re right, I forgot to add it in the ingredients, I will modify them as soon as I reach my laptop!
Thanks a lot and have great holidays! ❤️