Welcome to the last day of the Cookie Advent Calendar!
It has been a long, challenging but fun walk, now I think I will not bake anything for a while!! 😀
I close with these caramel cookies, they are rich, buttery, loaded with a caramel flavour: perfect with tea or coffee.
This is a well known recipe from a famous Italian food magazine but I’ve noticed the butter quantity was so much the dough could not absorb it so here you can find a more balanced version.
Caramel loaded shortbread cookies.
- 300 g plain flour
- 150 g soft butter
- 100 g caster sugar
- 50 g brown sugar
- 25 g fresh milk cream
- 1 egg
- Put caster sugar in a saucepan, turn the fire on and let the sugar melt and become gold without touching or stirring.
- When the caramel is done remove from fire and add warm milk cream, mix well and add soft butter little by little, always stirring.
- Put the caramel into a bowl, be sure it's almost cool and add flour and brown sugar.Knead with a spoon and add the egg.Knead until you have a smooth loaf, wrap in cling film and let it rest in fridge for 20 minutes.
- Make some rolls ( sausage like) out of the dough and let them rest in fridge, wrapped, for about 1 hour then roll them into brown sugar ( you can use milk or beaten egg to help sugar to stick, I had not this need) and slice them into thick cookies.
- Put them on a baking tray and bake at 170°C/ 340°F for about 20 minutes.
- Wait until cool before touching, they last about a week in a tin box.