It’s the morning of 23 Dec. and I am writing the post right now.
I’ve lost all my advantage and the next 2 days will be a long rush.
Today I want to post a very posh recipe: macarons.
They were a real trend few years ago in Italy, every blogger did them.
Me too, but I had no nice photos so I’ve never posted them.
This is the right occasion, recipe comes from a famous Italian pastry chef and it’s good for everyone, even for the pastry dummies like me.
Chocolate macarons, recipe by Luca Montersino.
- FOR THE BASE:
- 50 g drk chocolate at least 70% cocoa
- 100 g fine almond meal
- 50 g fine hazelnut meal
- 150 g icing sugar
- 50 g egg whites, room temperature
- ITALIAN MERINGUE:
- 150 g caster sugar
- 40 g water
- 60 g old egg whites, room temperature
- FOR THE FILLING:
- hazelnut or pistachio cream
- Put the two flours and the icing sugar in a mixer and pulse few seconds at time until you have a fine mixture.Sift it over a big bowl discarding all the bigger pieces and crumbs.
- Add egg whites and the tip of a teaspoon of red food coloring if you want. mix until combined.
- Prepare the Italian meringue putting caster sugar and water in a sauce pan. Let it reach 118°C/ 244°F without stirring, you'll have a sugar syrup.
- Put the egg whites into your mixer and whip them until white and foamy then pour the syrup while still whisking.The meringue will be ready when the temperature will be around 40°/50°C- 104°/122°F and will form stiff peaks.
- Add a spoon of meringue into the base, mix the add all the rest.When mixed well pour in the melted dark chocolate and mix again.
- Put the batter into a sac-a-poche and form your macarons on a baking tray ( you can use the macaron silicon tray or you can make circles with a pencil on the baking parcel and put it upsidedown over the baking tray and use them as a guide.
- Form macarons and let them rest for 3 hours; they must form a film over, it's important to reach the perfect result.
- Bake for 15 minutes, fan on, at 150°C/ 302°F, let them rest over the tray for at least one hour before removing them.
- The shells can be stored for weeks but when you pair them with the cream of your choice you have to eat them in a couple of days.