We are, once again, on a total lock down.
Online classes only, curfew, not allowed to exit home if not for health emergencies, grocery shopping and work if you’re allowed to work.
It’s damn hard to be at this same point right after a year.
Let’s speak of food or I’ll go crazy!
I’ve found this pastry dough on a random scrap, I’ve tried it and I’ve discovered a new staple for the cookies I want to glaze/ decorate as it turns out really smooth.
This pastry dough made with cream cheese, perfect for sugar cookies is also perfect as base for tarts and other sweets and it has less fats as part of the butter is substituted with cream cheese.
Pastry dough made with cream cheese, perfect for sugar cookies.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 (3 oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, butter, cream cheese, salt, almond and vanilla extracts, and egg yolk. Beat until smooth. Stir in flour until well blended. Chill the dough for 8 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough 1/3 at a time to 1/8 inch thickness, refrigerating remaining dough until ready to use. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Leave cookies plain for frosting, or brush with slightly beaten egg white and sprinkle with candy sprinkles or colored sugar.
- Bake for 7 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until light and golden brown. Cool cookies completely before frosting.
- keep an eye on them while baking, they have to stay white, if you let them golden too much they will be a little rocky.