Thanks to a Whatsapp chat with my friends about cookies the fact Halloween and All souls’ day are near came up to my mind.
Usually I try to post something Halloween related as I love this feast and its traditions.
This year I decided to keep it linked to Italian traditions ( we feel the All Souls’ day pretty much and we have many dishes, sweets, habits related to it) and I want to share with you those cookies, called in Italy “fave dei morti” that means something like Deaths’ fava beans.
Yes, in English it makes no sense at all but cookies are good and very easy and quick to make! 🙂
I leave here the recipe, probably I will not post a lot because I am working on a huge project for December: maybe not that huge but you must consider I am the only one behind this blog and I do everything from cooking/ baking to photos to post writing and editing.
I am not saying anything as I am not sure at all I will reach the end of this idea but stay tuned! 🙂
Italian All Souls’day almond cookies.
- 200 g peeled almonds
- 150 g sugar
- 150 g all purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp soft butter
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 1 tbsp anise liquor
- 1 drop green food coloring
- 1 ybsp alchermes ( pink Italian liquor, if you can't find it you can use a liquor of your choice and red/pink food coloring)
- Using a grinder grind almonds and sugar together until you have a fine powder.
- Add egg and butter, mix and add flour.
- Make a loaf with this dough, it must be sticky but not too soft.Split the dough in 3 parts.
- Add in one part cocoa, in one green coloring and anise liquor, in one alchermes or other liquor and pink food coloring.
- Where you are adding liquids you may need some more flour.
- Make balls out of the dough the size of a walnut, put them on a baking tray and bake at 340°F for about 5-8 minutes.The mustn't get gold, they have to be still soft when you remove them from oven.Keep them in an airtight box.