I suppose almost everyone knows what Anzac Day is but maybe not many know the memorial day for Australian and New Zealand’s troops is on 25 April, the same day in Italy we celebrate the Liberation Day.
Anzac cookies are, now, famous all around the world, recipes are so many as it happens with very famous dishes: I want to share with you, in this Cookie Advent Calendar, the foolproof recipe from Yotam Ottolenghi.
Anzac cookies, recipe from Yotam Ottolenghi with coconut, oat and raisin.
- 150 g rolled oats
- 90 g shredded dried coconut
- 185 g plain flour
- 100 g sugar
- 40 g light brown sugar
- 100 g raisins
- 185 g butter
- 60 g honey ( or maple syrup or golden syrup)
- 30 ml water
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 lemon (zest only)
- Mix all the dry ingredients except baking soda.
- In a saucepan let melt the butter with water and honey.When it's melted add baking soda and stir quickly for about 10 seconds.
- Add the butter mixture to dry ingredients and for a dough (it's a little bit crumbly).Form balls the size of a big walnut and put them on a lined baking tray.
- Bake at 170°C/340°F for about 10 minutes, they must be crisp on edges and soft inside.
- Let them cool completely before storing.
- They can be stored for a very long time but don't stack them or, if you do, put a piece of foil or wax paper between cookies or they could stick together.