Since husband studies as bartender ( for fun only!) we love having a cocktail or two in the week ends.
To celebrate the start of our summer holidays we organized a mexican dinner with a friend to eat food paired with mojitos and other nice cocktails.
I had a very little time to prepare everything, the menu comes up together in minutes but I had no ideas about the dessert.
Searching around the web and asking about a mexican dessert on my Instagram stories the tres leches cake appeared.
It seemed very basic to me, like ” nothing special” but I had very little time and it seemed very quick to make so I decided to give a try.
Well I decided wisely, this cake is really fantastic!!
It starts like a plain coffee cake then you pour the milks mix and it become a sort of pudding.
It has to be eaten cold with a lot of whipped cream and fruit on top so you can definetely call it a summer dessert!
Hubby and my best friend went crazy about this cake and I can say me too. 🙂
For best results make the cake a day in advance so it can rest in fridge enough and be careful to have the right space into the fridge! 😀
Use a rectangular or a squared cake tin ( about 9X9 inches).
- 200 g all purpose flour
- 180 g caster sugar
- 100 gr butter
- 5 eggs
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 bag baking pownder
- 180 g sweet condensed milk
- 200 ml whole milk
- 150 ml fresh milk cream or evaporated milk
For the cake:
For the milk mixture:
- Beat sugar and butter, then add eggs, one at time, until you have a foamy and gold mixture.
- Sift in flour, salt and baking pownder. Pour the mixture in a greased baking tin about 9X9 inches. Bake at 355°F for about 40 minutes or until well baked in the middle.
- Mix in a bowl condensed milk, whole milk, evaporated milk or milk cream. When the cake is out of the oven make a lot of holes with a toothpick in the whole cake, then pour the milk mixture over the cake. You must soak all the parts.
- When the cake is cold enough put it into the fridge. It must rest for at least four hours, overnight is better.
- When is time to serve the cake whip the milk cream with icing sugar until stiff, cover the cake and add al the fruit you want in pieces or slices. If you like you can sprinckle the cake with ground cinnamon.