- 12 oz soft butter
- 12 oz caster sugar
- 6 eggs
- 10 drops vanilla essence
- 1 pinch salt
- 10 oz plain flour
- 2 oz cocoa powder
- 1/2 oz baking powder
- 2 fl oz red colouring
- 9 oz soft butter
- 5 oz icing sugar
- 3 oz cream cheese
- Preheat oven at 350°F. Put sugar and butter in a bowl and beat together untill fluffy
- Beat in eggs one at time, vanilla, red colouring and salt plus half the flour, sifted. Add remaining flour, cocoa powder, baking powder sifted together then give a last beat to mix everything.
- Pour into greased tin and bake for 1 hour/ 1 hour and 15, cake is ready when firm in the centre.
- For the icing: beat together butter and icing sugar untill fluffly, beat in cream cheese and beat again.
- Cut the cake in three layers when it's cold then fill it and cover it with cream cheese icing.
You can cover the cake with sugar paste (about 1 3/4 lb for a 9 in cake) but I don't like it and it's also pretty expensive if you don't do it by yourself so I simply cover the cake with frosting.