- 14 oz sourdough
- 1/4 teasp. baking soda
- 6.5 oz. water
- 20.1 oz. olive oil
- 3.5 oz. grated pecorino cheese or Parmesan
- 0.4 oz. fine salt
- 9.2 oz. all purpose flour
- 5.3 oz durum wheat flour
- For the "carbonara":
- 1 large egg
- 1 oz. grated pecorino cheese or Parmesan
- 1 oz. bacon finely chopped
- black pepper freshly grounded to taste
- 1 tabsp. milk
- Dissolve sourdough and baking soda in water with a fork or a hand blender, let it rest 10 minutes then add oil and half the flour.
- Knead by hand or with a kneader then add the other half of flour, salt and the grated cheese. Knead well untill you have a smooth loaf.
- Let it rest 20-30 minutes then cut it in two and spread one part with a rollpin shaping it like a rectangle.
- In a bowl mix egg with a spoon of milk, bacon and cheese, add pepper to taste. Brush the mix on the dough, fold the rectangle to cover the brushed part then spread with a rollpin. Brush mixture again then fold and spread one more time.
- Cut stripes about 1/2 inch large then twirl each one and put on a baking sheet. Do the same with the rest of the dough.
- Bake breadsticks at 390°F untill golden.
You can store them in a paper bag for many days, if needed, before serving, warm them in the oven for few minutes.